What are Cactus Pads?
- The leaves of the Nopal cactus, Cactus Pads are also known as Cactus Paddles or Nopales. Cactus pads are a popular vegetable in Mexico and Latin America. They have a mild, green bean-bell pepper flavor and when sliced, they have the consistency of Okra. The Nopal cactus also bears edible fruit called Cactus Pears.
How to Eat
- Wear gloves – these cacti have spines! Trim off edges all around the pad. Remove thorns with the tip of a potato peeler and rinse to remove all prickles. Slice fresh cactus pads in salads or sauté and add to scrambled eggs.
- Good source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose with good color that are crisp and firm.
How to Store
- Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Southwestern Corn and Cactus Chowder Ingredients 4 slices bacon 1 cup chopped yellow onion 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 cup chopped celery 2 cactus pads, eyes trimmed and chopped 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth 2 cups fresh or frozen corn … Continue reading
Huevos Rancheros with Cactus and Black Beans Ingredients: 1 8-ounce package Cactus Leaves 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 Fresh Serrano or Jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced 1 11-ounce package black beans, cooked according to package directions … Continue reading
Eggs Nopales Ingredients 1 cactus pad 2 tablespoons butter 3 eggs Salt and pepper, to taste 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese Steps Cut out eyes of cactus pad, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. In saucepan, cover with water. Boil … Continue reading
Nopales Cactus Salad Ingredients: 1 8-ounce package Frieda’s Cactus Pads 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained 1 cup whole kernel corn 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice 1 teaspoon chile powder Shredded green or red cabbage 1 avocado, peeled and … Continue reading