What is Gai Choy?
- Gai choy is a broad-leafed mustard cabbage with curved stems, a semi-enclosed head and a strong, pungent flavor. It is entirely edible. A different variety, called dai gai choy, needs the leafy part to be discarded while the stems are used for salting, pickling or drying.
How to Eat
- Stems may be pickled using salt, white rice vinegar, sugar and chile peppers. Chop the entire cabbage and add to soups or stir-fry.
- Excellent source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose heads with full, firm, broad leaves.
How to Store
- Refrigerate in plastic wrap for 3 to 5 days.