What is a Garlic Chive?
- Also known as Nira Grass and Chinese Chives, these foot-long leaves are yellow or dark green, grass-like blades that are pungent and more sharply flavored than domestic chives. They also have a slight garlic flavor. Garlic Chives are native to the cuisines of China and southeast Asia and are commonly used in spring rolls. They are a great substitute to garlic when you don’t feel like crushing and chopping garlic.
How to Eat
- Use as you would ordinary chives. Add to noodle soups, scrambled eggs or top potatoes and fresh steamed vegetables.
- High in fiber and vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose full colored leaves with fresh stems.
How to Store
- Refrigerate up to 2 days.