What is a Milpero Tomatillo?
- Milpero Tomatillos are smaller, sweeter, and more flavorful relative of Tomatillos. They look almost like a green cherry tomato with husk.
- Much like Tomatillos, Milpero Tomatillos are used widely in Latin cuisine and the key ingredient in Salsa Verde.
How to Eat
- Remove husk and wash thoroughly. Use raw, roasted, or boiled in salsas and sauces.
- Excellent source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose Milpero Tomatillos that are bright green, firm, and dry.
How to Store
- Store refrigerated. Husked fruits will also keep longer. Chopped up or cooked fruits can also be frozen for later use.
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Hatch Chile and Tomatillo Salsa Ingredients: 9 Tomatillos, medium-sized 2 Hatch Chiles, fresh 1 Jalapeno Chile, optional, for more heat 1/3 cup chopped onion 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 lime 1 cup water Steps: Remove husks from tomatillos, rinse, and quarter. … Continue reading
Chile Morita Salsa Ingredients 2 Frieda’s Dried Morita Peppers 1/2 cup hot water 1 pound Tomatillos, husks removed 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled Salt to taste Steps In dry skillet (preferably cast iron ), toast peppers until they puff … Continue reading
Habanero Salsa Verde Ingredients: 1 pound Tomatillos, husked and quartered, or Milpero Tomatillos, husked 1/3 cup chopped onion 1 Habanero Chile, seeded and finely minced 2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced Salt to taste Steps: In medium saucepan, … Continue reading
Salsa de Tomatillo Ingredients: 2 pounds Frieda’s tomatillos 3 Frieda’s dried pasilla negro peppers, or 2 Frieda’s dried ancho peppers and 2 Frieda’s dried chipotle peppers 4 garlic cloves, peeled 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped Steps Remove the … Continue reading
Salsa Verde Ingredients: 12 Frieda’s Tomatillos, husked 1 Frieda’s Jalapeño pepper, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 2 tablespoons rice wine or cider vinegar Salt and pepper Steps Wash tomatillos and quarter. Place in food processor or blender along with jalapeño; … Continue reading
Spaghetti Squash with Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients: 1 tablespoon cooking oil 1 garlic clove, minced 1 small onion, diced 3 medium tomatoes, quartered 5 Frieda’s Tomatillos, husked, cleaned and quartered 1 small carrot, shredded 1 cup Italian parsley, chopped 1 Frieda’s … Continue reading
Tomatillo Nachos Ingredients: Your choice of a tomatillo salsa: Salsa de Tamatillo, Salsa Verde, or Habanero Salsa Verde Tortilla chips 2 to 3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese Steps: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange tortilla chips on … Continue reading