You’ve probably passed by this item thousands of times in your supermarket’s produce department or baking aisle. Crystallized ginger – dried slices of natural ginger root, cured and coated in sugar. It sure sounds nice, but what do you use it for? Here we have 10 great ideas for putting this sweet, spicy and comforting ingredient to work in your kitchen:
1. Chop and add to batter for cookies, such as ginger snaps, or quick breads like gingerbread, orange bread or banana bread.
2. Chop and add to at pan with butter, fresh lemon juice and sliced green onions in a saucepan. Heat until melted and spoon over hot rice and serve with chicken or fish.
3. Finely chop and use as a finishing touch on apple pie a la mode or a whipped cream-topped brownie.
4. Chop and combine with nuts, brown sugar and spices for a baked apple or pear filling.
5. Roughly chop and add to a stir-fry for a sweet and spicy bite.
6. Dip pieces in melted chocolate. Let cool and serve as a special after dinner treat.
7. Roughly chop and add to water and sugar mixture to make ginger-infused simple syrup. Strain before adding to drinks, such as iced tea.
8. Finely chop and sprinkle into fruit salad for a spicy, zesty flavor lift.
9. Finely chop and add to a homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest.
10. Just snack on this sweet treat right out of the package. Crystallized ginger is especially helpful for calming the stomach while traveling.
Can’t have enough? Here are some more simple recipes: