What is an Anaheim PEPPER?
- Fresh Anaheim Peppers are slender long peppers with a mild to medium heat and sweet flavor, most commonly seen in their fresh green state. Named for the city of Anaheim in California, these peppers were first introduced to California in the late 19th century. Anaheims look very similar to New Mexico Green Chiles, except they tend to be milder. On a heat scale of 1 to 10, Anaheim Peppers are a 2 to 3.
How to Eat
- Anaheim Chiles are traditionally used in making chile rellenos; they are great chopped fresh in omelets, baked potatoes or in cornbread batter. They can also be grilled and pickled.
- Excellent source of vitamins A and C.
How to Choose
- Choose chiles with smooth, deeply colored, firm, unblemished skins.
How to Store
- Store refrigerated, in a sealed bag, for up to 2 weeks, or in freezer bags and freeze for up to a year.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Grilled Polenta Cakes Topped with Hatch Chiles Ingredients: 1 tube Frieda’s Organic Polenta, any flavor 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 3 Hatch Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced, or Poblano or Anaheim chiles 1/4 cup … Continue reading
Chiles Rellenos Ingredients: 6 Frieda’s Fresh Anaheim Chiles l 1/2 cups Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded 3 egg whites 3 egg yolks Pinch of salt Cooking oil for shallow-fat frying 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour Steps: In broiler, roast chiles, … Continue reading
Easy New Mexico Cornbread Ingredients: 1 13-ounce package cornbread mix 1 cup creamed corn 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced 1 to 2 Roasted Hatch Chiles (or other peppers of your choice such … Continue reading
Guacamole Fresno Ingredients: 3 avocados, peeled, seeded, and mashed (preferably fresh California Avocados) 2 or 3 Red Fresno Chiles, seeded and chopped* 3 Anaheim Chiles, seeded and chopped* 1/3 cup onion, minced 1/4 cup lemon juice Salt to taste Cayenne … Continue reading
Crab Rellenos Ingredients: 6 Frieda’s Fresh Anaheim Chiles 1 cup fresh or canned crab meat, cooked, drained, and flaked 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded 6 eggs separated into yolks and whites 1 tablespoon water 3 tablespoons … Continue reading