What is a Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes?
- Fiesole (fee-eh-so-lay) are a special baby artichoke variety with a rich purple color. About the size of a large egg, these small artichokes are rich, nutty and highly flavored. The beauty of baby artichokes is that they are almost entirely edible because they have no choke inside.
How to Eat
- Remove outer leaves to get to the pale yellow part. Trim off the tips. Rub cut sides with lemon, or soak the cut artichokes in lemon water.
- Fry leaves in high heat for crispy artichokes. Braise with olive oil, garlic and herbs; include in risotto; or steam or grill for a small appetizer or side dish.
Watch this Video
- Great source of fiber.
How to Choose
- Choose baby artichokes with firm leaves.
How to Store
- Artichokes should keep for 4 to 5 days if you store them unwashed, in a plastic bag, in the refrigerator.
When are they in season?
- Season varies from year to year. Approximately February through April, and September through October.
Where are they grown?
- Baroda Farms in Lompoc, California.
Braised Chicken & Baby Artichokes Ingredients 1 lemon, halved 1 pound Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste 2 each skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks … Continue reading
Raw Baby Artichoke Salad Ingredients 4 Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 small garlic clove, mashed to a paste (optional) Salt and pepper, to taste 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 handfuls arugula … Continue reading
Baby Purple Artichoke Salad Original recipe and photo by Cookistry Ingredients 1 pound Fiesole baby purple artichokes or baby green artichokes Juice of 1 lemon, such as seedless lemon 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 onion, large dice 1 red pepper, … Continue reading
Roasted Baby Purple Artichoke Black Rice Salad Original recipe and photo by Rachel / Fuji Mama. Ingredients: Roasted Baby Purple Artichokes 1 pound Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 2 Meyer Lemons 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 … Continue reading
Tequila Lime Roasted Baby Artichokes Original recipe and photo by Laura Bashar / Family Spice Ingredients: 1 pound Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 1/2 cup Fresh Mint (optional) 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1/4 cup mayonnaise 2 … Continue reading
Braised Baby Purple Artichokes Original recipe and photo of “Braised Baby Purple Artichokes” by Laura Bashar / Family Spice Ingredients: 1 pound Frieda’s Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1/4 teaspon salt 1/8 … Continue reading
Baby Vegetable Antipasto Ingredients: Marinade 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped 1 tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 teaspoon salt Dash of sugar Dash of freshly ground black pepper 1 garlic … Continue reading
Crispy Baby Artichokes Ingredients: 10 Frieda’s Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes Extra-virgin olive oil 6 cloves fresh garlic, peeled Few sprigs of fresh Italian parsley 1 teaspoon sea salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper Steps: Wash artichokes. Trim stems, … Continue reading