What are Globe Artichokes?
- The Globe Artichokes are the commonly known variety of this edible thistle. The part we eat is the bud before it flowers. Once an artichoke flowers, it becomes inedible.
How to Eat
- To prepare, rinse, trim 1 inch off the top of the artichoke, then trim half inch off the bottom stem. Slightly spread open the petals. Place in water with lemon juice to prevent browning before cooking. Steam to cook, then serve with dipping sauces such as mayonnaise or balsamic vinegar. After enjoying the leaves, scoop out the fuzzy center “choke” prior to eating the inner heart.
- Great source of vitamin C, and fiber.
How to Store
- Artichokes should keep for 4 to 5 days if you store them unwashed, in a plastic bag, in the refrigerator. If the stems are still attached, you can stand the artichokes upright in a bowl of water as you would cut-flowers, then refrigerate.
When are they in season?
- Year-round (subject to weather)
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A.
Microwave Steamed Artichokes Ingredients 2 large artichokes, such as Sangria artichokes, Fiore Viola artichokes, or globe artichokes 1 Meyer lemon (or regular lemon), cut in half Additional lemon slices (optional) 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup water Salt … Continue reading
Roasted Artichokes with Lemon and Garlic Ingredients 2 large artichokes, such as Sangria artichokes, Fiore Viola artichokes, or globe artichokes 2 Meyer lemons (or regular lemons), cut in half 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 6 garlic cloves Salt and … Continue reading
Grilled Garlic Artichokes Original recipe by Sharon Palmer, R.D. Ingredients 2 large artichokes, such as Sangria artichokes, Fiore Viola artichokes, or globe artichokes (or use 2 Smartichokes™) 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 2 cloves … Continue reading
Basic Steamed Artichokes Ingredients: 2 to 4 artichokes, such as Frieda’s Sangria Artichokes, Frieda’s Fiore Viola Artichokes or Globe Artichokes 1 Meyer Lemon Additional lemon slices Mayonnaise for dipping (optional) Steps: Prepare artichokes by rinsing, then trimming 1 inch off … Continue reading
Maria’s Stuffed Artichokes Recipe by Maria’s Italian Kitchen (©2012 Maria’s Holding Corporation) Ingredients 1 cup olive oil 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic 1/2 tablespoon anchovy paste or 1 anchovy filet (If you choose not to add anchovy, add extra cheese … Continue reading