What is a Hawaiian Papaya?
- Pear-shaped fruit about the size of a large fist. The Hawaiian Papaya features a green to yellow skin and golden yellow flesh with a smooth, sweet melon-like taste. The hollow center cavity is filled with dark, semi-soft edible seeds.
How to Eat
- Halve lengthwise and scoop out seeds, then enjoy flesh with a spoon. Or peel and dice and add to salads, smoothies, etc. Try with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice on top.
Watch This Video
- Papaya is rich in papain, a natural enzyme that helps the body digest protein and softens the skin.
How to Store
- Allow to ripen at room temperature until the skin is at least 75% yellow. Ripe papaya can be refrigerated for one week.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A. (Hawaii)
Fresh Fruit Curacao Ingredients: 1 large papaya (such as Hawaiian Papaya), peeled, seeded, and sliced 1 medium Cherimoya, peeled, seeded, cut into bite-sized chunks 2 Kiwifruit or Gold Kiwifruit, peeled, sliced 2 Feijoa, peeled and cut up ½ cup orange … Continue reading
Fruited Squash Halves Ingredients: 2 Frieda’s Sweet Dumpling, Delicata, or Golden Nugget Squash 1/2 cup chopped Frieda’s Papaya, or peaches or nectarines 1/2 cup chopped fresh plums 1/2 cup diced pineapple 1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved 1/4 cup melted butter … Continue reading
Mexican Fruit Salad Ingredients: 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup water 2 Frieda’s Cinnamon Sticks, broken 3 ripe Frieda’s Manzano Bananas, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 Frieda’s Blood Oranges, or navel oranges, peeled 1 … Continue reading
Curried Ginger Chicken Salad Ingredients: 2 whole chicken breasts, cooked and cooled 2 cups cooked rice, cooled or chilled 2 cups cut-up fresh fruit, such as Frieda’s Sunrise or Hawaiian Papaya, melon, or pineapple 1 cup raisins 1 cup Frieda’s … Continue reading
Papaya Ambrosia with Ginger Dressing Ingredients: 2/3 cup plain yogurt 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or almonds 1 teaspoon honey 1 teaspoon Frieda’s Fresh Ginger, minced 1 Frieda’s Sunrise or Hawaiian Papaya, peeled, seeded and cut in chunks 1 cup … Continue reading
Ginger Chicken with Papaya Ingredients 3 tablespoons cooking oil 2 tablespoons minced ginger root 1 garlic clove, minced 2 green onions, chopped 1 3-pound broiler-frying chicken, cut up 2 medium sunrise or Hawaiian papayas (or 1 medium Miradol papaya), peeled, … Continue reading