What are Heirloom Tomatoes?
- The numerous Heirloom varieties offer a diverse array of sizes, shapes, flavors and textures. Heirloom Tomatoes tend to be more flavorful than many standard tomatoes, although they may appear “ugly.”
- Heirloom Tomatoes are grown from older tomato cultivars in smaller quantities. Unlike modern hybrid varieties, they come from seed and are grown for their flavor, rather than shelf-life. Well-known varieties are San Marzano, Brandywine, Gardener’s Delight, Lollypop, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Black Krim, Amish Paste, Aunt Ruby’s German Green, Big Rainbow, Chocolate Cherry, and Three Sisters.
How to Eat
- Best enjoyed fresh in simple preparations, like salads, sandwiches and cold soups. Also great for stuffing.
- A rich source of potassium and vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose tomatoes that are firm. Do not be turned off by scars or cracks, those are natural blemishes.
How to Store
- Handle with care. Store stem-end up. Store at room temperature and use within 2 days of purchase. Do not refrigerate (only refrigerate once cut) because refrigeration causes the texture to become mealy.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Canada, Mexico, and U.S.A.
Braised Chicken & Baby Artichokes Ingredients 1 lemon, halved 1 pound Fiesole Baby Purple Artichokes or Baby Green Artichokes 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste 2 each skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks … Continue reading
Heirloom Tomato Pudding ingredients 1 (16-ounce) loaf country bread, cut into 1-inch pieces 3/4 cup olive oil, divided Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 1 stick unsalted butter (with a little extra to butter baking dish) 1 medium … Continue reading
Heirloom Tomato Panzanella ingredients 2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced (or 2 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved) 3 large shallots, minced 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice … Continue reading
Panzanella Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes ingredients 4 large heirloom tomatoes, about 3 pounds Salt and pepper, to taste 2 large shallots, finely diced 1 garlic clove, minced 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (such … Continue reading
Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes ingredients 6 to 12 heirloom tomatoes Salt and pepper, to taste 2 tablespoons olive oil 3 large shallots, finely diced 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed 1/4 … Continue reading
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Ginger, Lemon & Chile Ingredients 4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges 2 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger Zest from 1 lemon, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 small jalapeno … Continue reading
Heirloom Caprese Salad Ingredients 3 large heirloom tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut in 1/4-inch slices Handful fresh basil leaves 1/4 cup olive oil Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper Steps Place tomato slices on platter, … Continue reading