What is a Japanese Sweet Potato?
- The Japanese sweet potato (also known as Japanese yam or Murasaki sweet potato) is a sweet potato variety with a thin rusted red-colored skin and cream colored flesh. The flesh is dry, starchy and subtly sweet while the skin is bitter in flavor.
- These are NOT Okinawan sweet potatoes!
How to Eat
- Wash and remove skin prior to preparation. Use as you would ordinary sweet potatoes. Mash, boil, bake or cut into sliced and prepare French fried sweet potatoes.
- Excellent source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose sweet potatoes that is firm and not sprouting.
How to Store
- Store in a cool, dark and dry place that is well-vented up to 1 month.