What is a Hachiya Persimmon?
- Japanese Hachiyas are somewhat heart shaped with smooth skin of reddish-orange color. They have an astringent taste if immature, but have a sweet, spicy flavor when ripe.
How to Eat
- Hachiyas must be very ripe to eat raw. Use them in your favorite dessert or canning recipes.
- Rich source of dietary fiber and low in fat.
How to Choose
- Use ripe Hachiyas within a few days. Blemishes or black spots on skin do not affect the interior.
How to Store
- Refrigerate ripe fruit up to 3 days.