What is a Purple Kohlrabi?
- This bulbous vegetable is often referred to as the cabbage turnip, but with the virtues of neither. The bulbs, whether green or purple, are sweeter, juicier, and crisper than turnips, with the mild flavor of broccoli stems. The leaves may be cooked and have a kale-collard flavor.
- Also available in baby size.
How to Eat
- Peeling is optional. Kohlrabi is refreshing when sliced and served raw with dips or added to salads. It can also be parboiled, hollowed and stuffed, or simply steamed and served lightly seasoned.
- Kohlrabi is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. The purple pigment provides added antioxidants.
How to Choose
- Choose small or medium sized bulbs free of cracks.
How to Store
- Refrigerate wrapped up to 1 week.
Rainbow Bibimbap We turned the traditional Korean rice bowl into a veggie love fest for two with purple cauliflower “rice” and a sunny-side-up egg. Serves 2 Ingredients Green Onion Slaw (see below) 1 head purple cauliflower, trimmed and chopped into … Continue reading
Butter-Braised Kohlrabi Ingredients 2 pounds Purple, Green, or Baby Kohlrabi, trimmed but unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes 1 cup chicken stock 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme leaves Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste … Continue reading
Steamed Kohlrabi with Lemon Butter Ingredients: 1-1.5 lb. Purple, Green, or Baby Kohlrabi, 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tablespoon minced Fresh Parsley Salt and pepper to taste Steps Trim kohlrabi, but … Continue reading
Indian Kohlrabi Fruit Salad Ingredients 1 – 2 bulbs purple or green kohlrabi 1½ cups shredded green cabbage 1½ cups shredded red cabbage ½ cup raisins ½ cup chopped dried apricots Curry Yogurt Dressing: 1/3 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing … Continue reading
90’s Vegetable Slaw Ingredients: 2 cups shredded green cabbage 2 cups desired shredded vegetables (Frieda’s Jicama, Hot House Cucumber, Baby Carrots, Sunchokes®, or Purple, Green, or Baby Kohlrabi) 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts Red … Continue reading