What is a Red Fresno pepper?
- The Fresno pepper was developed in 1952 and named after the city in California. Red Fresnos are often confused with their cousin, the jalapeño, but are wider at the top and have a more earthy, pungent heat and sweeter flavor. On a heat scale of 1 to 10, red Fresnos are about a 6 or 7.
How to Eat
- Chop into soups, salsas, marinades, or any dish that calls for jalapeños or needs a bit of spice and color. The Fresno’s bold flavor also lends itself well to pickling and canning. Always handle peppers with caution—gloves are recommended, especially when cutting. Never touch your eyes, nose, or mouth directly after handling hot peppers.
- Red Fresno peppers are rich in vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose peppers with smooth, firm, unblemished skins.
How to Store
- Store refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Feijoa Avocado Salsa Shock your friends’ taste buds with a tangy sweet take on traditional guacamole. Feijoas add a tropical touch of pineapple. Aloha and olé! Ingredients 3 feijoas 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/2 small avocado (preferably California avocado), peeled … Continue reading
Vegetables Olé Do you wonder like we do what veggie to serve with your fave Mexican dish? Wonder no more. Here it is. And the secret isn’t in the vegetables, so we’ve given you lots to pick from. No, the … Continue reading
Twisted Quesadillas No, you don’t twist these quesadillas. But they have so many kinds of chiles that you have to be a little twisted to try them. Fresnos, caribes, and jalapeños each add their own flavor creating a mouthful of … Continue reading
Mexican Vegetable Sauté Ingredients: 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup chopped onions 1 to 2 Frieda’s Elephant Garlic Cloves, peeled, halved and thinly sliced 1 to 2 Frieda’s Fresh Chiles (such as Jalapeño, Serrano, or Fresno) seeded and cut into … Continue reading
Easy New Mexico Cornbread Ingredients: 1 13-ounce package cornbread mix 1 cup creamed corn 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced 1 to 2 Roasted Hatch Chiles (or other peppers of your choice such … Continue reading
Tomatillo Nachos Ingredients: Your choice of a tomatillo salsa: Salsa de Tamatillo, Salsa Verde, or Habanero Salsa Verde Tortilla chips 2 to 3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese Steps: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange tortilla chips on … Continue reading