What is a Tamarillo?
- Originating in South America, Tamarillos are also known as “tree tomatoes.” These egg-shaped fruits feature a glossy smooth red or golden skin and are sold with their stem attached. Their tiny edible seeds and juicy pulp are surrounded by apricot-like flesh, which has a complex and rich bitter-tart tomato-like flavor. Gold Tamarillos are a golden yellow color and Red Tamarillos are a smooth scarlet. Frieda’s Tamarillos are grown in New Zealand’s unique subtropical climate and harvested from June through October.
How to Eat
- Peel before eating, cooked or raw. May be used in sauces, jams, relishes, or fruit salads. The rich, complex tomato flavor is surprisingly good when sweetened and pureed into a sauce served over vanilla ice cream!
- Excellent source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose fruits that are firm and feel heavy for their size.
How to Store
- Let ripen at room temperature until they yield slightly to pressure and become fragrant. Once ripe, can be refrigerated up to 1 week. Can be frozen if peeled, wrapped individually in plastic.
When are they in season?
- April through November
Where are they grown?
- Product of New Zealand
Tamarillo Chutney Ingredients 10 to 12 tamarillos 2 tablespoons grated ginger 2 large shallots, finely chopped 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (or to taste) 1 cup rice wine vinegar 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 … Continue reading
Just-Do-It! Tamarillo Sauce Ingredients: 6 Frieda’s Red or Yellow Tamarillos 2 tablespoons orange juice 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon grated orange peel Steps Place the tamarillos in a bowl. Pour boiling water over them. Drain, then slip off the tamarillo … Continue reading
Ingredients: 5 Frieda’s® Tamarillos, any variety, peeled and diced 1/4 cup apple cider or juice 1/4 – 1/3 cup packed brown sugar Steps: Place all ingredients in blender container or food processor bowl; cover and process until pureed. Chill before … Continue reading
Tamarillo Pear Chutney Ingredients: 1 cup pear nectar or apple cider or juice 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1/3- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 5 Frieda’s Tamarillos, any variety, peeled and chopped 2 firm-ripe pears, peeled and chopped 1 cup … Continue reading
Tamarillo Ratatouille Ingredients: 11/2 cups chicken broth 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced (5- 6 cups) 4 Frieda’s Tamarillos, any variety, peeled and diced 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped 1 clove Frieda’s … Continue reading
Tamarillo Mushroom Avocado Salad Ingredients: 3 Frieda’s Red or Yellow Tamarillos 2 cups torn bibb or romaine lettuce leaves 1 cup red cabbage, shredded 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced ½ medium-sized ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced Shallot Vinaigrette Dressing: … Continue reading
Tamarillo Ice Cream Parfaits Ingredients: 6 Frieda’s Red or Yellow Tamarillos, peeled 2 tablespoon orange juice 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon grated orange peel 1 quart vanilla ice cream Steps: To peel Tamarillos, pour boiling water over fruit; remove skins … Continue reading