What is a Tomatillo?
- Tomatillos are used widely in Latin cuisine and the key ingredient in Salsa Verde. Sometimes referred to as green tomatoes, Tomatillos are similar to tomatoes, but feature a papery outer husk. Roasted or boiled, then puréed, Tomatillos have a vibrant, tart, lemon-grass taste that adds a bright note to salsas, enchiladas and other Latin-inspired dishes. Although often grouped with hot peppers in the produce department, Tomatillos are actually very mild.
How to Eat
- Tomatillos have a slight acidic, lemony flavor and are perfect chopped for green chile salsa, salads, gazpacho, or guacamole. Roast, boil and purée or chop raw for salsas and salads.
- Rich in vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
How to Choose
- Choose Tomatillos that are firm, dry, and clean.
How to Store
- Refrigerate in a paper-lined dish for up to 3 weeks.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown
- Product of U.S.A. and Mexico
Hatch Chile and Tomatillo Salsa Ingredients: 9 Tomatillos, medium-sized 2 Hatch Chiles, fresh 1 Jalapeno Chile, optional, for more heat 1/3 cup chopped onion 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 lime 1 cup water Steps: Remove husks from tomatillos, rinse, and quarter. … Continue reading
Chile Morita Salsa Ingredients 2 Frieda’s Dried Morita Peppers 1/2 cup hot water 1 pound Tomatillos, husks removed 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled Salt to taste Steps In dry skillet (preferably cast iron ), toast peppers until they puff … Continue reading
Habanero Salsa Verde Ingredients: 1 pound Tomatillos, husked and quartered, or Milpero Tomatillos, husked 1/3 cup chopped onion 1 Habanero Chile, seeded and finely minced 2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced Salt to taste Steps: In medium saucepan, … Continue reading
Salsa de Tomatillo Ingredients: 2 pounds Frieda’s tomatillos 3 Frieda’s dried pasilla negro peppers, or 2 Frieda’s dried ancho peppers and 2 Frieda’s dried chipotle peppers 4 garlic cloves, peeled 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped Steps Remove the … Continue reading
Salsa Verde Ingredients: 12 Frieda’s Tomatillos, husked 1 Frieda’s Jalapeño pepper, sliced 1 medium onion, chopped 2 tablespoons rice wine or cider vinegar Salt and pepper Steps Wash tomatillos and quarter. Place in food processor or blender along with jalapeño; … Continue reading
Spaghetti Squash with Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients: 1 tablespoon cooking oil 1 garlic clove, minced 1 small onion, diced 3 medium tomatoes, quartered 5 Frieda’s Tomatillos, husked, cleaned and quartered 1 small carrot, shredded 1 cup Italian parsley, chopped 1 Frieda’s … Continue reading
Tomatillo Nachos Ingredients: Your choice of a tomatillo salsa: Salsa de Tamatillo, Salsa Verde, or Habanero Salsa Verde Tortilla chips 2 to 3 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese Steps: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange tortilla chips on … Continue reading