What is a Kumquat?
- Kumquats are like miniature oranges. They have a sweet, edible skin and tart inner flesh with a few small seeds. It’s best to consume Kumquats whole, skin and all, as the flesh is quite tart by itself. In a way, Kumquats are like inside-out oranges!
- Did you know that Kumquat literally means “golden orange” in Chinese? That’s why this fruit is so popular during Chinese New Year!
How to Eat
- Enjoy Kumquats whole, slice into salads, or desserts. Muddle them into a cocktail, or use for making marmalade.
- Excellent source of vitamin C, rich in fiber, and supplies calcium and iron.
How to Choose
- Choose firm and glossy fruits.
How to Store
- Store at room temperature up to 2 days, then refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
- November through July
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A.
Kumquat-Ginger Smash Ingredients 4 Kumquats, halved through the equator 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or turbinado sugar) 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger 1 1/2 ounces dark rum Ice Club soda Toothpicks for garnish Steps To rocks glass, add 6 kumquat halves and … Continue reading
Tuna Salad with Kumquat and Jalapeño ingredients 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil 4 kumquats, thinly sliced crosswise 1 small jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced 1 5-ounce can tuna (packed in water), drained Zest and juice of … Continue reading
Kumquat Ginger Cocktail ingredients 1 Meyer lemon, cut into 6 wedges Juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon 6 kumquats, halved 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced 1.5 ounces vodka 1/2 ounce Triple Sec or Grand Marnier 1/2 ounce Ginger Simple … Continue reading
Kumquat Stuffed Chicken Ingredients 2/3 cup fresh kumquats 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts 1 tablespoon minced onion 1/8 teaspoon black pepper 4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley 1 teaspoon grated … Continue reading
Duck and Kumquat Salad Ingredients 1/2 cup red or white wine vinegar 1/2 cup chopped Kumquats 1/3 cup vegetable oil 2 tablespoons honey Romaine lettuce leaves 1 head Belgian Endive, leaves separated 1 1/2 cups cooked, chilled, julienne-sliced, cooked duck … Continue reading
Fruit and Shallot Stir Fry Ingredients: 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 1 Frieda’s Asian Pear, cored and chopped 1 papaya or mango, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces 6 Frieda’s Kumquats, sliced 1 3-ounce package Frieda’s Shallots, sliced 2 … Continue reading
Glazed Kumquats and Bananas Ingredients: 1 cup butter or margarine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed 1 teaspoon minced Frieda’s® Fresh Ginger Root 1 package Frieda’s® Honey-Glazed Kumquats, finely chopped 3 ripe medium bananas, peeled and cut into I-inch chunks 2 … Continue reading
Chinese Chicken Salad in Won Ton Cups Ingredients: Won Ton Cups: 16 Frieda’s Fiesta Won Ton Wrappers Vegetable oil Salad: 2 1/2 cups shredded Napa (Chinese) cabbage or romaine lettuce 11/2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey 1/2 cup bean … Continue reading
Gingered Fruit Compote Ingredients: 1 cup apple juice 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, minced ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 1 8-ounce bag Frieda’s Kumquats, sliced 1 Frieda’s Asian Pear, or regular pear, cored and chopped 1 cup seedless … Continue reading