What is a Lychee?
- Also known as “Lychee Nuts,” these small, unmistakably sweet fruit have rough, bumpy rinds that vary from red to pale-green blush. Inside, Lychees have perfumy, juicy, grape-like flesh that surrounds a single large seed.
- Also available in organic.
How to Eat
- Peel and enjoy alone or add to fruit salads and desserts, or chicken and fish dishes. The seed is not edible.
- Good source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose fruits with intact skin and no leaks.
How to Store
- Keep refrigerated in a plastic bag and use within 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
- June through September
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico, Guatemala, and China
Grilled Tropical Fruit Kebabs Exotic fruits get caramelized then drizzled with a zesty key lime-honey sauce for a sticky-sweet summer treat. Ingredients 1 pint cape gooseberries* (24 berries), husk removed and rinsed well (or 24 fresh lychee and/or rambutan, peeled … Continue reading
Lemon Mousse Pudding with Lychees Ingredients: 1 tablespoon butter 1 envelope unflavored gelatin 1/4 cup water 3 egg yolks 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/3 cup lemon juice Grated peel of 1 lemon 24 Fresh Frieda’s Lychees 1 cup … Continue reading
Gingered Mandarin Lychees Ingredients: 1 pound Lychees 1 11-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained 2 tablespoons orange juice 2 teaspoons lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, minced Fresh Mint (optional) Steps: With a paring knife, peel and seed lychees, and add … Continue reading