What is a Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato?
- Stokes Purple® are a special sweet potato variety with purple skin and bold purple flesh that intensifies when cooked. Aside from its unique bold color, the Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato differs from other sweet potatoes in its flavor and texture, offering a favorably dryer, denser, and richer taste with well-balanced sweetness.
- Different variety than Okinawan Sweet Potato. Learn more here!
- Exclusively grown in California and non-GMO. Meet our grower!
- Also available in organic.
Where to buy?
- Available nationwide at select supermarkets.
See our list of retailers by state here*.
*Please note that we’re always adding new retailers for this high-demand product. We also recommend you go to your favorite U.S. supermarket produce manager and ask for Stokes Purple® by name!
- Also available online:
How to Eat
- Scrub external skin and wrap potatoes in aluminum foil. (Rub with olive oil prior to wrapping for extra moist results.) Place wrapped potatoes on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours (bigger potatoes take longer). The dense flesh of this potato takes a bit longer to cook than most other sweet potatoes, but it’s worth the wait!
- Can also be steamed, boiled, roasted or fried. (Not that the drier texture of this potato lends better to high-moisture cooking methods.)
- Caution bakers! Baking soda may turn the purple sweet potato green! Please check your recipe.
- Excellent source of vitamin C and also provides fiber. (The skin is edible, too!)
- Vibrantly purple from anthocyanins.
- Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index when boiled.
Watch the Video
How to Choose
- Choose sweet potatoes with firm, smooth skin and even tone.
How to Store
- Keep in a cool dry place and use within 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
- September through April
Where do they grow?
- Product of U.S.A.
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette Ingredients 5 Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, washed Chipotle Vinaigrette or Light Chipotle Vinaigrette (recipe below) 1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped Steps Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap each potato in aluminum … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Mash Ingredients: 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or vegan butter) 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk (or vegan alternative) 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo puree 5 large Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes, boiled until just cooked through, and peeled … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Bisque Ingredients: 3 cups leftover Purple Sweet Potato Mash 1 1/2 to 2 cups vegetable broth 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon allspice 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg 1/2 cup light sour cream (or vegan sour … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Muffins Ingredients: 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed 2/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil 2 eggs 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 cup canned crushed pineapple (do not drain; scoop straight from can) 2 cups all-purpose … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Pancakes with Apples and Bacon Ingredients: 1/2 large Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice 2 cups store-bought pancake mix (your favorite kind) 2 eggs 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Latkes Ingredients: 2 large Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes 1/2 yellow onion 1 egg, lightly beaten 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon salt Grapeseed or canola oil, for frying Steps: Peel sweet potatoes with vegetable peeler, then … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Vegan Cheesecake Original recipe and photo of Purple Passion Cheesecake by Elisa Rachel / EatingWhole.net Ingredients: Filling 3 to 4 Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes 3 cups cashews, soaked 3/4 cup raw agave nectar 1/3 cup fresh … Continue reading
Ricotta-Stuffed Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Pancakes Ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup whole wheat flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk 2 eggs, separated 2 tablespoons honey 2 cups cooked, peeled, and … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato and Arugula Salad with Grilled Salmon Original recipe and photo by Peggy Balboa, Registered Dietitian for Mariano’s Ingredients: Salad 4 medium Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes, washed 1/4 cup olive oil 5 ounces baby arugula Chipotle Vinaigrette … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Oven Fries Ingredients: 2 large Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Salt and pepper to taste Truffle salt or truffle oil (optional) Steps: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Thoroughly … Continue reading
Golden Purple Potato Salad Original recipe and photo by Rachel / Fuji Mama Ingredients 1 1/2 pounds yellow-fleshed potatoes (like Butter Babies™), scrubbed but not peeled 1 1/2 pounds Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes (or Okinawan sweet potatoes), scrubbed and peeled … Continue reading
Piquant Purple Vegan Burger Original recipe and photo by Elisa Rachel / EatingWhole.net Ingredients 1 package (14 ounces) extra firm tofu (for soy-free, substitute 1 cup white or black beans) 1-2 Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes 1/2 cup quinoa flakes 1/2 … Continue reading
Crispy Chicken with Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Apple Hash and California Avocado Escabeche Recipe authored by Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, Copyright © 2013. Recipe and photo provided by the California Avocado Commission. Ingredients Crispy Chicken 4 six-ounce … Continue reading
Purple Creamsicle Smoothie Ingredients 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk 1/2 cup Stokes Purple® sweet potato*, baked, cooled, and mashed 1/2 cup orange juice 1 cup frozen peaches 2 tablespoons agave syrup 1 teaspoon orange zest 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Medallions with Chipotle Cream ingredients 5 Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, of uniform size and washed 1 cup sour cream 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from 7-ounce can of chipotle chile in adobo sauce) … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Pie ingredients 1 1/2 pounds Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, washed 1 tablespoon bourbon (or maple syrup) 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 5 egg yolks … Continue reading
Spiced Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes & Chickpeas ingredients 3 pounds Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks 1 15-ounce can low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (about half a medium onion) … Continue reading
Mediterranean Harissa Stew with Purple Sweet Potato Original photo and recipe by Rika and Doni/Vegan Miam ingredients 2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature 1 medium sweet onion (like Maui onion), peeled and minced 3 garlic cloves, minced 1 1/2 … Continue reading
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Hazelnut Butter Recipe by Zester Daily contributor Julia della Croce (also as heard on NPR) Julia is the author of “Veneto: Authentic Recipes from Venice and the Italian Northeast” (Chronicle Books), “Italian Home Cooking: 125 Recipes … Continue reading
Purple Power Breakfast Bowl Roast a few Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes on the weekend, and you’ll be ready to make a great nutritious breakfast on demand for the next few days! Ingredients Makes one serving: 2 tablespoons peanut butter 2 … Continue reading
How to Perfectly Bake Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes Aside from its unique bold color, the Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato differs from other sweet potatoes and yams is in its flavor and texture, offering a favorably dryer, denser, and richer taste … Continue reading
Purple Sweet Potato and Fennel Flat Bread Ingredients 1 small Stokes Purple® sweet potato, peeled and halved crosswise 1 small fennel, trimmed, reserving some fronds for garnish, halved lengthwise 1 large shallot, peeled and halved crosswise 1 tablespoon olive oil, … Continue reading
Grilled Purple Sweet Potato Wedges with Turmeric Aioli These purple wedges are sweet and creamy with just the right crunch and smokiness. Dunk them in earthy and peppery turmeric aioli. Perfection! Ingredients 3 pounds Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, scrubbed well … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Brownies with Purple Buttercream Frosting These decadent brownies have a secret—they’re made with Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes! Not only are they luscious, they’re also good for you with a boost of vitamin C, iron, calcium, fiber, … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Power Bites These scrumptious power bites are packed with the nutrition power of purple sweet potatoes. With no added sugar, they are sweetened naturally with dried fruits, and are packed with healthy fats and plant proteins, … Continue reading
Flourless Purple Sweet Potato Brownies Original recipe by Naomi Mederos / Instagram @NaomiTheSweetestPotato Ingredients 2 Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes (350-400 grams raw) 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder 1/4 cup maple syrup. Optional: 2-4 tablespoons milk of your choice, 1 … Continue reading
Purple Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal Give your morning oatmeal a purple power boost by adding cooked Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes. Besides who wouldn’t want pie for breakfast? Ingredients 1 cup milk of your choice or water 1/2 cup cooked, peeled, … Continue reading
Purple Power Chia Pudding This guilt-free dessert or a sweet breakfast treat is rich in vitamin C from Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes and omega-3 fatty acids from chia seeds. Power up! Ingredients 1 cup milk of your choice 1/2 cup … Continue reading
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes [SORRY – SOLD OUT!!!]
- $60 includes shipping (contiguous U.S. only)
- Purple skin and bold purple flesh that intensifies when cooked. Dense, rich flavor & balanced sweetness with floral notes.
- Grown in California; non-GMO.
- Click here for local pick up option in Los Alamitos, CA (shipping waived)
Out of stock
- Our season has ended. Please check back again in September 2017!
- 15-pound boxes only at this time. (Approximately 15 to 25 potatoes per box, depending on size.)
- Cost includes shipping via FedEx Ground. You will receive potatoes within 5 to 7 business days. (*Southern California residents, see local pickup option.)
- Available to ship to contiguous United States only. (Sorry, HI & AK… and other countries! Contact us so we can try to help you find a retailer.)
- Orders ship on Monday each week (except holidays).
- Orders must be entered by 12 p.m. PST on Thursday for shipping following Monday. (Orders entered AFTER 12 p.m. PST on Thursday will be held for shipping until the following Monday.)
- Note: a PayPal account is NOT required. Please select the “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” option after checking out.
Email us at mail [at] friedas dot com.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.