What is a Young Coconut?
- Young Coconuts are mainly used for their juice, or coconut water. They are harvested young and their green outer skin is pared away to a white cylindrical husk with a pointy, pencil-like tip. Inside the white husk is the familiar round coconut with its hard, fibrous shell. Inside the shell is a cavity filled with sweet, refreshing coconut water (juice) and a thin layer of soft, jelly-like flesh.
How to Eat
- Hold the coconut on its side on a towel. With force, score the pointed end with a large knife, set the coconut upright, then lift up “the lid.” Pour coconut water into a pitcher or a glass. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. (Watch the video below!)
- Coconut water can be enjoyed as a healthy beverage or added to recipes. Once you’ve enjoyed your fill of fresh coconut water, scoop out the soft flesh that clings to the inside of the shell. Dice it into fruit salads, blend into shakes and smoothies, etc.
How to Open a Coconut
- Not to be confused with coconut milk, coconut water is the clear, sweet, crisp and refreshing liquid. It is a great natural substitute to soft drinks, sugary juices, or sports drink if you enjoy the flavor.
How to Choose
- Choose heavy coconuts with no cracks, mold or soft wet spots. If you give the Young Coconut a shake, it should be full of liquid with no air inside, so it shouldn’t slosh much.
How to Store
- Keep refrigerated, wrapped in plastic to retain moisture, and use within five days.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Thailand and Vietnam
Coco-Mojito with Sugar Cane Swizzle Stick Ingredients: Coconut water from 1 Young Coconut (about 2 cups; reserve coconut shell to use as serving vessels, if desired) 6 Fresh Mint leaves (plus sprig for garnish) 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1 to … Continue reading
Ingredients: 1 pound cooked peeled medium shrimp, coarsely chopped 3 Frieda’s Brown Coconut 1/2 cup fresh lime juice 1/2 medium red onion, diced 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (save a few sprigs for garnish) 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and … Continue reading
Pineapple Coconut Smoothie Ingredients: 1 Young Coconut, liquid reserved (about 2 cups coconut water; 1 cup coconut meat) 2 Zululand Queen Baby Pineapples, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) 1/2 banana, peeled and sliced into thick rounds 2 tablespoons … Continue reading