What is Black Garlic?
- Black Garlic is the latest gourmet ingredient making a buzz in culinary circles. Whole heads of natural garlic are aged for 1 month in a special high-heat fermentation process. The aged garlic turns a rich black color with a soft, chewy texture and a mild, sweet-savory taste that might be classified as “umami” (the fifth taste – mostly present in savory and meaty foods). Some describe it as having a balsamic or molasses-like taste, others compare black garlic to beef bouillon.
How to Eat
- Enjoy as a snack, slice and add to salads or use to top a variety of dishes from pasta to steak to fish. May also be pureed and drizzled on top of dishes like potato salad or pizza. Black Garlic should be used more like a condiment — it does not need to be cooked. High-heat methods will weaken its unique sweet flavor.
- No additives, sodium or preservatives are used in the fermentation process. Just pure garlic!
How to Choose
- Choose undamaged bag with seal.
How to Store
- Store in a cool dry place. For best results, refrigerate after opening and use within 1 month.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A.
Chive & Black Garlic Cream Cheese Spread Original recipe and photo by Cookistry ingredients 8 ounces cream cheese (optional: light cream cheese), at room temperature 1 tablespoon milk (optional: low-fat milk) 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives 2 cloves black … Continue reading
Black Garlic Mayonnaise Ingredients: 4 Frieda’s Black Garlic cloves 2 large egg yolks 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 cup extra virgin olive oil 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice Steps In a medium size mixing bowl add garlic cloves, egg yolks … Continue reading
Baked Bananas with Black Garlic Ingredients: 1 banana – skin on 1 chocolate bar 1 peeled clove of black garlic – very finely chopped 2 teaspoons of runny honey 1 teaspoon of brown sugar 2 tablespoons of brandy or dark rum … Continue reading
Mushroom and Black Garlic Risotto Ingredients: 4 1/4 cups of vegetable stock 1/2 cup butter 4 tablespoons of olive oil 1 onion – very finely chopped 4 peeled cloves of black garlic – finely sliced. 1 3/4 cup risotto rice … Continue reading
Artichoke and Black Garlic Bruschetta Ingredients: 2/3 cup of antipasti artichokes (drained). 1 flame roasted red pepper from a jar (drained and seeds removed) 3 cloves of peeled black garlic (plus one extra to rub into the bread) 1 teaspoon … Continue reading
Black Garlic Tapenade Ingredients: 2 cloves of peeled black garlic 3/4 cup of sliced black olives 1 small tin of anchovies (drained) 1 teaspoon of capers Juice of a small lemon 3 tablespoons of olive oil Black Pepper Fresh basil … Continue reading
Black Garlic Chicken Satay Ingredients: 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless For the marinade: 3 small shallots, peeled 1 clove black garlic 1/2 teaspoon lemongrass, thinly sliced 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon grated fresh fresh … Continue reading
Sunchoke™ Purée with Slivered Black Garlic on Crostini Ingredients 1 pound Sunchokes™ 2 to 4 ounces, plus 1 tablespoon, extra virgin olive oil 1 head white garlic 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (try seedless lemon) 1 teaspoon water 2 teaspoons … Continue reading