What is a Hatch Chile?
- Hatch Chiles are a much sought-after group of long green pepper varieties exclusively grown in the Mesilla Valley near Hatch, New Mexico. They look a bit like Anaheim Chiles but they are quite a bit spicier — the Extra Hot Hatch variety is typically hotter than a Jalapeno.
- The robust, spicy flavor of the Hatch Chile makes it a beloved pepper for chile fans (aka “Chile Heads”), who go nuts for the zesty aroma as they are roasted over an open flame. Because of the Hatch Chile’s limited season — late summer/early fall — pepper aficionados all over the country flock to New Mexico’s famous Hatch Chile Festival each year over Labor Day weekend.
- Want to know about Frieda’s Hatch Chile roasting events near you? Sign up for our Hatch Fever emails here.
Watch This Video
How to Eat
- Hatch Chile Peppers are ideal for roasting, which enhances the flavor and intensifies the heat level. Click here for our roasting instructions. Once roasted, slip the skins off and stuff with cheese for chile rellenos, or chop for salsas, sauces, chili, tamales, breads, etc.
- Good source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose firm chiles with no blemishes.
How to Store
- Keep fresh chiles refrigerated, wrapped in plastic. Roast or freeze within 5 days of purchase.
When are they in season?
- August through early September
Where are they grown?
- Product of Hatch, New Mexico, U.S.A.
Internet Explorer users may not be able to view the following videos.
How to Roast Hatch Chiles First, put on a pair of plastic gloves. Hatch Chiles can be spicy! Don’t touch your mouth or eyes after handling them! Next, wash the chiles and pat dry. Roast chile whole or slit lengthwise … Continue reading
Grilled Polenta Cakes Topped with Hatch Chiles Ingredients: 1 tube Frieda’s Organic Polenta, any flavor 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 3 Hatch Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced, or Poblano or Anaheim chiles 1/4 cup … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Dressing Ingredients: 1 cup plain 0% fat Greek yogurt 2 Hatch Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped 1/2 cup roughly chopped Fresh Cilantro 1 teaspoon cumin 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped Juice of half a lime Steps: … Continue reading
Hatch Chile and Tomatillo Salsa Ingredients: 9 Tomatillos, medium-sized 2 Hatch Chiles, fresh 1 Jalapeno Chile, optional, for more heat 1/3 cup chopped onion 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 lime 1 cup water Steps: Remove husks from tomatillos, rinse, and quarter. … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Rellenos Ingredients: 4 large eggs, separated 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup flour 8 Hatch Chiles, roasted and peeled 8 finger-sized pieces of American, Jack, or cheddar cheese 1 tablespoon flour 1/2 inch oil in frying pan Steps: Heat … Continue reading
Hatch Green Chile Stew Ingredients: 1 1/2 pounds lean stew meat, in approx. 3/4″ cubes 1/2 medium onion, chopped 3 cups water 4 garlic cloves, minced 8-10 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, and diced 3 medium potatoes, diced Salt to taste … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs Ingredients: 6 large eggs 3 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, and diced 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise 2 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yogurt 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or green onions 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 3 tablespoons chopped … Continue reading
Tony’s ‘Down the Hatch’ Chili Ingredients: 2 pounds ground beef 2 sweet onions, chopped 1 large red onion, chopped 3 carrots, chopped 4 garlic cloves, minced 6 Hatch Chiles, finely chopped 2 green bell peppers, chopped Two 28-ounce cans no-salt … Continue reading
Hatch Chile & Chicken Fajitas Ingredients: 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder 1 tablespoon ground cumin Salt and pepper 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips 1 large onion, sliced 4 flour tortillas, warmed 4 … Continue reading
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole Ingredients: 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded 2 cups chopped Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped One 26-ounce can cream of chicken soup 26 ounces non-fat milk (use cream of chicken can to measure) … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Apple Cobbler Ingredients: 2 to 4 Hatch Green Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced finely (about 4 to 8 ounces, depending on heat level desired) 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon … Continue reading
Slow Cooker Hatch Chile Pork Stew Ingredients: 2 1/2 to 3 pounds pork (boneless thick-cut chops or shoulder), cut into 1-inch cubes 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, plus more to … Continue reading
Turquoise Trail Sliders Recipe courtesy of New Mexico Department of Agriculture The Turquoise Trail is a 65-mile stretch of road along New Mexico Highway 14 between Tijeras Pueblo and Santa Fe. It is named after the precious stone mined in … Continue reading
Cheesy Soyrizo™ Dip Ingredients 1 pound Velveeta 1 package Frieda’s Soyrizo™, removed from casing 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles with juices (or 1 can diced tomatoes with juice, and diced, roasted Hatch Chiles to taste) Steps Cut … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Tequila Ingredients: 1 bottle (750 ml.) tequila blanco 5 to 6 roasted* Hatch Green Chiles, halved lengthwise (seeding and/or peeling optional) Steps: In large glass jar or pitcher, add Hatch chile halves. Pour tequila over chiles and stir. … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Margarita Ingredients: 1 ounce Hatch Chile Tequila 1 ounce tequila blanco 4 ounces limeade (such as Simply limeade) One wedge lime, from a lime cut into 8 wedges Ice Garnish: Margarita salt, strip of roasted Hatch chiles, and/or … Continue reading
Hatch Chile Chocolate Chip Cookies Original recipe by Jennifer Eubanks. Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 cup minus 2 tablespoons packed … Continue reading