- Hatch Chiles are a much sought-after group of long green pepper varieties exclusively grown in the Mesilla Valley near Hatch, New Mexico. They look a bit like Anaheim Chiles but they are quite a bit spicier – the Extra Hot Hatch variety is typically hotter than a Jalapeno.
- The robust, spicy flavor of the Hatch Chile makes it a beloved pepper for chile fans (aka “chile heads”), who go nuts for the zesty aroma as they are roasted over an open flame. Because of the Hatch Chile’s limited season — late summer/early fall – pepper aficionados all over the country flock to New Mexico’s famous Hatch Chile Festival each year over Labor Day weekend.
Quick Usage Ideas
- Hatch Chile Peppers are ideal for roasting, which enhances the flavor and intensifies the heat level. Click here for our roasting instructions. Once roasted, slip the skins off and stuff with cheese for chile rellenos, or chop for salsas, sauces, chili, tamales, breads, etc.
- Good source of vitamin C.
Selection & Storage
- Select firm chiles and keep refrigerated, wrapped in plastic. Roast or freeze within 5 days of purchase for best results.