What are Hatch Chiles?
Hatch Chiles are zesty peppers with bold flavor and heat levels that range from mild to hot. They’re available for a limited time only and are exclusively grown in Hatch, New Mexico. Roasting or grilling brings out an even more intense flavor. It’s the unique flavor that draws dedicated fans (aka chile heads) to drive across town to buy them by the case!
What’s a Hatch Chile Roasting Event?
Frieda’s has partnered with Ralphs for the past seven years to bring the authentic New Mexico experience to Southern California! There is nothing quite like the aroma of 25 pounds of fresh Hatch Chiles being roasted over an open flame! We’re roasting peppers to order on a first-come-first-served basis at select Ralphs locations every weekend from August 4 through September 9.
That’s a lot of chiles! Can I just buy a few pounds?
Roasted Hatch Chiles freeze very well for up to one year and don’t take up that much room in your freezer. Besides, this is the one time a year you’re getting the fresh stuff! But we totally understand…and yes, un-roasted Hatch Peppers are available in the store by the pound. You can roast them at home over the grill, on a gas stove, or under a broiler.
2018 Ralphs Hatch Chile Roasting Events: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
UPDATE: 8/20/18: Due to rain in Hatch over this past weekend, we do not know yet what heat levels will be available for this coming August 25-26 weekend. Please stay tuned!
Saturday, August 25 – Reservations are now open
- Huntington Beach – 19081 Goldenwest St.
- San Diego – 10525 4S Commons Drive.
Sunday, August 26 – Reservations are now open
- San Clemente – 903 S. El Camino Real
- Manhattan Beach – 2700 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Saturday, September 1 – Reservations open Monday 8/27 at 10 a.m.
- Carlsbad – 7140 Avenida Encinas
- Villa Park – 17801 Santiago Blvd.
Sunday, September 2 – Reservations open Monday 8/27 at 10 a.m.
- Los Angeles – 11727 W. Olympic Blvd.
- Rancho Cucamonga – 12201 Highland Ave.
Saturday, September 8 – Reservations open Tuesday, September 4 at 10 a.m.
- Mission Viejo – 27730 Santa Margarita Pkwy.
- West Camarillo – 674 Las Posas Road
Sunday, September 9 – Reservations open Tuesday, September 4 at 10 a.m.
- Encore! Temecula – 33145 Temecula Pkwy. …you like us, you really like us!
- Huntington Beach – 5241 Warner Ave.