What is a Cactus Pear?
- The fruit of the nopal cactus, Cactus Pears, also known as prickly pears or tunas, can range in color from green to yellow to pink and red. The fruit’s smooth skin has very fine (almost invisible) spines, and the inside flesh has a juicy, watermelon-like texture and contains many small, crunchy edible seeds. Red Cactus Pears have a sweet flavor, similar to watermelon, with slight earthy notes.
How to Eat
- Always wear gloves when handling Cactus Pears! Slice in half and scoop out flesh with a spoon, or peel and slice and add to salads, smoothies and cocktails. To peel, hold the fruit lengthwise and slice both ends off. Then run your knife down the length of the fruit and carefully peel the skin away. You may want to strain the seeds after pureeing the fruit before using in drinks.
- Cactus Pears are high in vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose firm fruits with no blemishes.
How to Store
- Ripen at room temperature for up to 2 days, then refrigerate and use within 3 days.
When are they in season?
- August through April
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A. and Mexico
Internet Explorer users may not be able to view this video.
Razzle-Dazzle Cactus Pear Sauce Ingredients: 1/4 cup sugar 3 tablespoons cornstarch Dash of salt 6 Frieda’s Cactus Pears 1/2 cup water 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice Steps Mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Hold each … Continue reading
Jiggly Cactus Pear Salad Ingredients: 1 3-ounce package strawberry-flavored gelatin 1 1/2 cups boiling water 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup strawberry low-fat yogurt 3 Frieda’s Cactus Pears (any variety), peeled and diced Steps Dissolve gelatin in the … Continue reading
Cactus Pear Melon Salad with Mint Dressing Ingredients: Lettuce leaves 3 red cactus pears, peeled and thinly sliced 3-4 pepino melons, peeled, seeded, and sliced (or 1 cantaloupe, seeded and sliced) 2 cups cooked bay shrimp Mint Dressing: 2 tablespoons … Continue reading
Cactus Pear Ice Cream Ingredients: 6 Frieda’s Cactus Pears 1 1/2 cups light cream 1 cup sugar 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten 1 cup heavy cream Green, yellow, or red food coloring, if desired 2 egg whites, beaten stiff description: … Continue reading