What is a Chayote?
- Chayote (pronounced “chy-o-tay”) is a member of the gourd family with a smooth, green skin and mild, fresh, zucchini-cucumber flavor. It has a single large seed inside that can be roasted and eaten along with the flesh.
How to Eat
- Steam and purée in creamy soups, or bake, roast, or sauté with butter and fresh herbs. Treat as you would summer squashes, with slightly longer cooking time because of its firmer flesh.
- Low in calories (1 cup is only 100 calories!) and high in fiber.
How to Choose
- Choose full, firm, and unblemished Chayote.
How to Store
- Store refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
Costa Rican Saute Ingredients: 4 to 5 Fresh Hot Cherry Chiles, seeded and minced 1 1/2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil 1/2 cup chopped onion 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 Chayote Squash, cubed 1 1/2 cups Yuca Root, peeled and … Continue reading
Blackeyed Pea and Chayote Salad Ingredients: 1 Frieda’s Chayote Squash, inner seed removed (or 2 medium zucchini) 1 (11-ounce) package Frieda’s Blackeyed Peas, cooked, drained Bibb or romaine lettuce leaves 2 tablespoons pimiento, drained and chopped Mustard-Garlic Dressing Mustard-Garlic Dressing: … Continue reading
Vegetables Olé Do you wonder like we do what veggie to serve with your fave Mexican dish? Wonder no more. Here it is. And the secret isn’t in the vegetables, so we’ve given you lots to pick from. No, the … Continue reading
Squash in Ginger Cream Ingredients: 2 pounds Frieda’s Squash (such as Acorn, Butternut, Banana, Buttercup, Delicata, Golden Nugget, or Sweet Dumpling), cut into slices or rings, skin removed 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 2 teaspoons Frieda’s Fresh Ginger, grated 2 … Continue reading
Mexican Vegetable Sauté Ingredients: 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup chopped onions 1 to 2 Frieda’s Elephant Garlic Cloves, peeled, halved and thinly sliced 1 to 2 Frieda’s Fresh Chiles (such as Jalapeño, Serrano, or Fresno) seeded and cut into … Continue reading
Three Squash Medley Ingredients: 1 green or white Frieda’s Chayote Squash, peeled quartered and cored 1/3 cup chicken broth 2 Frieda’s Scallopini Squash, halved an sliced 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned) 2 tablespoons … Continue reading
Chayote Guacamole Snack Ingredients: Frieda’s Chayote Squash, quartered 1 large ripe avocado 1/2 cup chopped onion 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese 1 medium tomato, chopped 2 fresh Frieda’s Serrano or Jalapeño Chiles, seeded and chopped 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 … Continue reading