What is a Fennel?
- This aromatic vegetable with its pale green, celery-like stems and feathery foliage, has a bulbous base and is entirely edible. Fennel is sweet and mild, and should not be confused with the licorice-flavored sweet anise.
- Also available in organic, and baby size.
How to Eat
- Chop stems and bulb and sauté, steam, braise, or add to soups. Enjoy raw in salads, with fresh vegetables or dips. The greenery can be snipped and used as garnish.
Watch the Video
- Good source of fiber, rich in vitamin C, and provides potassium. Fennel is also said to help with indigestion.
How to Choose
- Choose fairly large bulbs with shiny sheath.
How to Store
- Refrigerate up to 4 days.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A.
Purple Sweet Potato and Fennel Flatbread Ingredients 1 small Stokes Purple® sweet potato, peeled and halved crosswise 1 small fennel, trimmed, reserving some fronds for garnish, halved lengthwise 1 large shallot, peeled and halved crosswise 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus … Continue reading
Blood Orange, Fennel, and Arugula Salad A simple and elegant salad that is truly a crowd pleaser. Add some roasted chicken breast to make a filling, main-course salad. Ingredients 1 large or 2 medium fennel bulbs 1 shallot, peeled 2 … Continue reading
Butter Babies™ & Fennel Potato Salad with Dill ingredients 1 1/2 pounds Butter Babies™ potatoes, halved lengthwise 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons kosher salt 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 2 tablespoons mayonnaise 3/4 cup (5.3-ounce single serving container) plain Greek yogurt … Continue reading
Braised Fennel and Carrots Ingredients: 2 pounds (2 large bulbs) Fennel 1 ½ cups whole peeled Baby Carrots 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth 1 cup sliced brown or sweet onion 1 clove garlic, minced 1 bay leaf 1/2 teaspoon … Continue reading
Braised Fennel with Shallots & Mushrooms Ingredients: 1 bulb Fennel, scrubbed Chicken broth or water 2 tablespoons olive oil 3 packages Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, rehydrated according to package instructions 2 Shallots, peeled and sliced 1 clove garlic, minced Salt and … Continue reading
Braised Fennel with Pancetta Ingredients: 1 bulb Fennel 1 cup chicken broth or water 2 strips pancetta* or bacon, diced 1/4 cup onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced Salt and pepper to taste 1 3-ounce package Frieda’s Pine Nuts, chopped … Continue reading
Oven-Steamed Salmon with Meyer Lemon and Shaved Fennel Ingredients 2 pounds fresh salmon (about 2 fillets) 4 to 5 Meyer lemons 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 fennel bulb Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper Aluminum foil or parchment paper Steps … Continue reading