What is a Horseradish?
- Horseradish is an ancient herb grown for its roots. It has a very pungent and hot flavor when grated. Horseradish root is traditionally prepared with vinegar to stabilize the heat.
How to Eat
- Wash the root thoroughly and pare away outer skin. Horseradish is generally grated and served as a condiment with meat and potatoes. Add grated horseradish to puréed vegetables such as beans, beets, potatoes, parsnips, or celery root.
- There are two ways to freeze leftover horseradish root. You can freeze a vacuum-sealed portions of peeled horseradish chunks. Or you can freeze grated horseradish in ice cube tray.
- Horseradish is believed to stimulate the body’s immune system, and possesses antibiotic properties.
How to Choose
- Choose firm roots.
How to Store
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A.
Twice Baked Potatoes with Pizzazz Ingredients: 3 large baking potatoes or Frieda’s Yellow Finnish potatoes 3/4 cup dairy sour cream 1 tablespoon grated fresh Frieda’s Horseradish 4 tablespoons butter or margarine 3 tablespoons milk or light cream 1 tablespoon fresh … Continue reading
Horseradish Rarebit (Cheese Sauce) Ingredients: 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk or light cream Salt and pepper to taste 1 to 2 teaspoons Frieda’s Horseradish, grated 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced 1 cup shredded … Continue reading
Ingredients: 2/3 cup freshly grated Frieda’s horseradish 1/3 cup white vinegar 1/3 cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Steps: Combine horseradish and vinegar in a blender container. Process at high speed. Add the mayonnaise and blend well. Add the oil … Continue reading
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes Ingredients: 2 pounds Frieda’s Fingerling, Baby or Purple Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks 1/3 cup sour cream 1/3 cup grated fresh horseradish 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1/4 cup … Continue reading
Prepared Fresh Horseradish Ingredients: Frieda’s Fresh Horseradish Root 1-3 tablespoons water 1/4 cup white vinegar, plus additional for mixing Salt and sugar, as desired Steps Scrub and peel the amount of horseradish you want to grate. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes … Continue reading