What is a Jackfruit?
- Covered in green, spiny bumps, the Jackfruit is the world’s largest tree fruit and grows directly out of the trunk or branches. As the fruit ripens, the exterior turns yellow and brown, becomes fragrant, and yields slightly to pressure.
- Sweet and fragrant yellow pods have hints of mango, banana, and melon.
- NPR called Jackfruit “the ginormous fruit to feed the world” for its versatility.
- Perfect size for sharing with friends! Throw a jackfruit party.
How to Open a Jackfruit
- Jackfruit has sap that is very sticky. Handle with gloves, cover work area and cutting board with plastic or butcher paper; and brush vegetable oil onto the knife to prevent sticking. Wipe down then re-oil the knife often. halve the fruit crosswise and cut
into wedges. Using paring knife or your fingers, separate the pods from the “silk,” then remove seeds. Reserve seeds if using. Refrigerate cut fruits.
How to Eat
- Jackfruit is delicious fresh, but It can be used in baking as a dessert. Unripe fruit is often used as a meat substitute in curries, tacos, and sandwiches. The seeds are also edible once cooked, and are similar to chestnuts in texture and flavor. (Find out how to cook Jackfruit seeds here.)
- A source of vitamin C and supplies potassium and protein.
How to Choose
- The color may vary from green to brownish, but you’ll know the jackfruit is ripe and ready when you press on the fruit and it has some give. The fruit should also be fragrant.
How to Store
- If still hard and on the green side, leave on counter to ripen. Wrap cut fruit tightly in plastic and store flesh in container. Refrigerate up to 7 days and freeze for up to 2 months.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Turon (Banana and Jackfruit Eggrolls) Turon–or banana lumpia–is a Filipino street dessert that is essentially jackfruit and banana-filled and fried eggrolls. We bake ours and serve with a caramel/dulce de leche dipping sauce. Ingredients 2 tablespoons butter, melted 16 pieces … Continue reading
Jackfruit Coconut Chia Pudding The easy-to-make coconut chia pudding gets a fruity boost from sweet, ripe jackfruit and crunchy toasted coconut flakes. Tropical paradise in a cup! Ingredients 1/4 cup chia seeds 1 cup coconut milk (full fat, recommended) 1/4 … Continue reading
Pulled “Pork” Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwiches Also known as “vegan pulled pork,” jackfruit makes a great pork substitute because its firm texture shreds like slow-cooked pork. While most recipes require canned young jackfruit in a brine, fresh jackfruit will work just … Continue reading