What is Jicama?
- Jicama (pronounced “Hee-Ka-Ma”) is native to Mexico and also known as a Mexican potato or yam bean. It has also become a favorite throughout Asia and can be substituted for fresh water chestnuts.
How to Eat
- Cut away the skin and slice into sticks and serve with dips on veggies trays for a quick, healthy snack. It does not turn brown from oxidation when sliced! Jicama tastes great sprinkled with freshly squeezed lime juice and a touch of ground chile pepper. Excellent in salads when paired with cilantro, citrus and red onion. Grate into salads or dice into soups or stir-frys.
- Jicama is an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber. The natural fiber in Jicama is also considered a “pre-biotic,” which helps good bacteria grow in the digestive tract.
How to Choose
- Look for firm, smooth, roots. The skin often has a scarred or scabby appearance, but does not affect flavor. Do not refrigerate Jicama before using. Whole, uncut Jicama should be stored like a potato – in a cool, dry, dark place. Once cut, wrap in plastic and refrigerate up to 1 week.
How to Store
- Do not refrigerate Jicama before using. Whole, uncut Jicama should be stored like a potato – in a cool, dry, dark place. Once cut, wrap in plastic and refrigerate up to 1 week.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Mexico
Veggie Campechana This zesty, light, and refreshing plant-powered take on the Mexican seafood cocktail was created especially for Frieda’s by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger of Border Grill. The recipe was originally featured at the LA Food Bowl … Continue reading
Shaved Jicama, Radish, and Beet Salad Ingredients 2 gold beets, or 4 baby gold beets, trimmed and peeled 1 small jicama, peeled 1 large watermelon radish, or 3-4 red radishes, trimmed 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (try Frieda’s Seedless Lemon!) … Continue reading
Grilled Jicama & Watermelon Radish Salad with Chimichurri Grilling mellows the zesty radishes and gives sweet jicama a smoky edge. A bright and herbaceous chimichurri sauce brings it all home. Ingredients 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil … Continue reading
Super Fresh Cole Slaw The key to this recipe is having every ingredient chopped into the same 1/2-inch size pieces—making it a chopped salad! Ingredients Salad 1/2 head green cabbage, diced (about 4 cups) 1/2 hot house cucumber, diced with … Continue reading
Stir-Fried Tomatoes with Jicama and Cilantro Ingredients: 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil 1 clove garlic, minced 2 green onions, chopped 2 cups diced, peeled Frieda’s Jicama 1 cup red or yellow cherry or pear tomatoes, halved … Continue reading
Tempura Mexicana Ingredients: Frieda’s Cactus Leaves Frieda’s Jicama, peeled and cut into bite-sized sticks Green or sweet red bell pepper strips Sliced sweet potato (cooked and peeled) 2/3 cup all-purpose flour 3 tablespoons cornstarch 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 egg … Continue reading
Marinated Vegetable Medley Ingredients: 1 cup bias-sliced carrots 1 cup chopped broccoli flowerets 2 Frieda’s Japanese Eggplants, or one small regular eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch chunks 1 1/2 cups sliced, peeled Frieda’s Jicama 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut … Continue reading
Yucatan Tapenade Ingredients: 1 Delicata Squash 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 cup diced onion 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper 1 medium Jicama, peeled & chopped 2 cups chopped tomatoes 3 tablespoons white wine … Continue reading
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients: 1 Frieda’s Delicata Squash 1/4 cup olive oil or cooking oil 1 clove garlic, minced 1/2 cup diced onion 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper 1 medium Frieda’s Jicama, peeled and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups) 2 … Continue reading
Blue Cheese Dip with Jicama and Sunchokes Dip Ingredients: 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese 1 cup sour cream 1/4 cup minced onion 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce Vegetables: 1 large Frieda’s Jicama 1 16-ounce … Continue reading
90’s Vegetable Slaw Ingredients: 2 cups shredded green cabbage 2 cups desired shredded vegetables (Frieda’s Jicama, Hot House Cucumber, Baby Carrots, Sunchokes®, or Purple, Green, or Baby Kohlrabi) 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts Red … Continue reading
Corn, Jicama, & Pineapple Salsa Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Jicama 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple 1 cup niblet corn 1/2 cup diced green or red bell pepper 1/4 Habanero Chile, finely chopped 2 tablespoons chopped Fresh Cilantro … Continue reading
Jicama, Orange and Onion Salad Ingredients: 2 fresh oranges, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise 4 thin slices red onion, separated 1 cup Frieda’s Jicama, peeled and julienne-sliced 1/3 cup orange juice 1 tablespoon light olive oil or vegetable oil 1 … Continue reading
Mexican Tomatoes Take those beautiful, red, juicy fruits south of the border. (Yes, tomatoes are actually fruit.) Sweet, tangy, spicy, juicy, and crunchy—it’s a fiesta in your mouth! Ingredients 1/3 cup white vinegar 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 large tomatoes … Continue reading