What is Lemongrass?
- Lemongrass is used for the flavor it imparts and not its substance. Discard the stalks and leaves once used.
- Lemongrass, or citronella root, is the reason Thai and Vietnamese dishes often have a compelling lemony flavor with a subtle lemon perfume. It is sold by the stalk, which resembles a woody green onion.
How to Eat
- Use the portion of the white base up to where the leaves begin to branch. If slightly dry, soak in warm water to rehydrate. Shred or finely slice and add to soups, curry dishes, and sauces for seafood. Remove pieces of lemongrass before serving. Can also be steeped in hot water to make a healthy tea.
- Lemongrass is now being studied for its cancer-fighting properties. It is also believed to help lower cholesterol.
How to Choose
- Choose green stalks with white ended roots.
How to Store
- Refrigerate in vegetable crisper up to 2 weeks.
Thai Grilled Turmeric Chicken After a rubdown of fragrant Thai herbs and spices, this chicken is ready for the grill. Enjoy the authentic Thai flavor with a side of jasmine rice. Ingredients 1 teaspoon black peppercorn 2 teaspoons coriander seeds … Continue reading
Black Garlic Chicken Satay Ingredients: 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless For the marinade: 3 small shallots, peeled 1 clove black garlic 1/2 teaspoon lemongrass, thinly sliced 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon grated fresh fresh … Continue reading
Light Lemon Hollandaise Ingredients: 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise or mayonnaise-style salad dressing 1/3 cup lowfat milk 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten 2 tablespoons minced Lemongrass, (bulb only) 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard Dash cayenne pepper 1/4 … Continue reading
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup Ingredients: 5 to 6 dried peppers (such as dried bird peppers), rehydrated according to package directions 3 3/4 cups skim milk 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium 2 pieces lemongrass, … Continue reading
Citrus Salad with Lemon Crème Dressing Ingredients 2 blood oranges, cara cara, or regular oranges, peeled 1 oroblanco, or regular grapefruit, peeled Lettuce leaves or mixed greens 1/4 cup light mayonnaise or mayonnaise-style salad dressing 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt … Continue reading