What is a Passion Fruit?
- Native to Brazil, Passion Fruit is considered to be the largest berry of all plants. The Passion Fruit’s thick purple skin wrinkles when ripe. Inside, it has small, black edible seeds surrounded by an aromatic, jelly-like pulp that has a lemony, sweet-tart flavor.
- Did you know that Passion Fruit acquired its name from Spanish missionaries who saw the plant’s distinctly shaped flower as a symbol of Christ’s crucifixion? They carried the symbolic plant back to Europe and its popularity spread throughout the world.
How to Eat
- Ripe when wrinkled! Traditionally used to make juices, Passion Fruit can be used to top ice cream or in blender drinks, such as Passion Fruit margaritas. Or simply cut in half and enjoy the pulp with a spoon.
- A source of vitamin C and provides fiber.
How to Choose
- Choose fruits that are large and heavy for their size.
How to Store
- Allow fruit to ripen at room temperature until the skin is wrinkly and aromatic. Refrigerate ripe fruit and use within 3 days.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of New Zealand and U.S.A.
Internet Explorer users may not be able to view this video.
Jamaican Papaya Smoothie Bowl Ingredients 1 7-oz. container Greek style yogurt (such as Fage) 1 ripe Martha’s Best Jamaican papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks Pulp from 1 ripe passion fruit Honey and lime juice, to taste Optional toppings: … Continue reading
Passion Fruit Mojito Ingredients 1 ounce lime juice 2 ounces Passion Fruit (pulp and seeds) 3 ounces club soda 1 ounce white rum or light rum 6 mint leaves 2 tablespoons sugar Handful crushed ice Extra lime wedges and mint … Continue reading
Frieda’s Purple Hurricane ingredients Ice 1 1/2 ounces grenadine syrup 1 1/2 ounces passion fruit syrup (such as Torani) 1 1/2 ounces triple sec 1 ounce fresh lime juice 1 ounce light rum 1/2 ounce Blue Curacao Club soda Optional: organic … Continue reading
Passion Fruit and Mango Sorbet Ingredients: 4 ripe, wrinkled Passion Fruits 3 medium ripe mangoes, or large ripe peaches, peeled and chopped 2 tablespoons sugar or to taste Steps: Cut passion fruits into halves. Spoon pulp (seeds and all) into … Continue reading
Tropical Sunset Smoothie Ingredients: 1 ripe Martha’s Best papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks 1 quart (4 cups) unsweetened pineapple juice, chilled Pulp from 3 ripe passion fruits 2 tablespoons honey 1 cup crushed ice Optional: pineapple slices and/or … Continue reading
Passion Fruit-Melon Sorbet Ingredients: 5 Frieda’s Passion Fruits 1 medium-ripe cantaloupe, seeded 1 cup water 1/3 cup light corn syrup Frieda’s Fresh Mint for garnish Steps Halve Passion Fruit; scoop out yellow pulp. Place in blender or food processor container. … Continue reading
Passion Fruit Meringues Ingredients: 3 egg whites 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 1 cup granulated sugar Ice cream 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or raspberries 1 to 2 kiwifruit, peeled, halved & thinly sliced 3 ripe … Continue reading
Passion Fruit Daiquiris Ingredients: 2/3 cup light rum 1/4 cup lime juice 1/4 cup sugar 4 Passion Fruit 2 cups chopped ice Lime or pineapple slices for garnish Steps: Combine rum, lime juice, sugar, and passion fruit pulp (seeds and … Continue reading
Horned Melon Passion Fruit Sauce Ingredients: 2 Frieda’s Kiwano Melons, halved lengthwise 3 Frieda’s Passion Fruit, ripe and wrinkled, halved 1 – 2 tablespoons honey Steps With a spoon remove pulp from Kiwano Melon and Passion Fruit into a food … Continue reading
Prosciutto Fruit Salad with Passion Fruit Dressing Ingredients: Bibb lettuce leaves or fresh spinach leaves 2 ounces prosciutto or ham slices, halved lengthwise 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks (Try it with Zululand Queen Baby Pineapple.) 1 cup Pepino Melon, Kiwifruit, … Continue reading