What is Rhubarb?
- Field-grown Rhubarb has a tart flavor and generally has dark red stalks and green leaves. The hothouse varieties have pink to bright red stalks and light green leaves, and are grown when the field variety goes dormant. The stalks are the only edible portion of this vegetable.
- Also available in organic.
How to Eat
- Because of their intense tart flavor, Rhubarb is generally cooked with sugar and used in strawberry-Rhubarb pie. But it’s also paired well with apples, pears, citrus fruits, carrots, and ginger.
- Traditionally use in pies, tarts, preserves, rhubarb is also great for juicing.
- The compounds that give rhubarb a vibrant red color are packed with powerful antioxidants.
How to Choose
- Choose firm stalks.
How to Store
- Refrigerate in plastic wrap for 5 to 7 days.
When are they in season?
- March through December.
Where are they grown?
- U.S.A and Holland.