What is Turmeric Root?
- Fresh turmeric root (pronounced TER-muh-rihk), or yellow ginger, is a staple of Southeast Asian and Indian cuisines. It’s an intensely orange-colored version of its cousin ginger, but without the spicy flavor. Instead, turmeric is slightly peppery and earthy.
- Did you know that turmeric’s bright orange-yellow color is what makes curry and mustard powders yellow?
How to Eat
- Use caution when handling turmeric root: it will stain your fingers, clothing, and kitchen surfaces! Here are some turmeric stain removal tips.
- Peel and grate or finely chop, then add to rice, curries, juices, and smoothies. Steep slices in hot water for tea or in dairy or plant-based milk to make “Golden Milk.”
- Use 1 tablespoon of grated fresh turmeric (about a 1-inch piece) in place of 1 teaspoon of dry turmeric.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which is being studied for its natural anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting properties.
- To get the most out of turmeric, pair with black pepper and/or a healthy fat. For example, steep turmeric root and peppercorn in hot milk, or make a paste with coconut oil.
How to Choose
- Choose firm roots.
How to Store
- Wrap loosely with plastic and refrigerate up to 3 weeks, or freeze whole and store in freezer bag.
- Pickle: peel and chop turmeric roots and place in jar, cover with fresh squeeze lemon juice, sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of Fiji and Jamaica
Blood Orange, Rainbow Carrot, Turmeric and Ginger Ingredients 2 pounds rainbow carrots 12 blood oranges 1/2 Meyer lemon 3-4-inch piece of ginger 9-10 inches fresh turmeric Ice Steps Peel or scrub carrots and roughly chop. Peel oranges and Meyer lemon, … Continue reading
Turmeric-Roasted Cauliflower Tacos Ingredients Cauliﬂower: 1 medium head purple cauliﬂower 1 medium head orange cauliﬂower 1/4 cup olive oil 5 inches fresh turmeric, grated on Microplane® grater 3 teaspoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 … Continue reading
Fresh turmeric root is a fantastic ingredient, however it stains just about everything—skin, clothing, cutting boards, and even your plastic containers and food processor bowl! Of the many ways to remove stains, some are more successful than others. We’ve listed … Continue reading
Golden Sunrise and Scarlet Sunset Juice Blends One juice recipe, two different colors and flavor profiles! Go yellow with mellow gold beets and an orange, or go red with red beet and sweet blood oranges. Ingredients 3 carrots, scrubbed and … Continue reading
Grilled Purple Sweet Potato Wedges with Turmeric Aioli These purple wedges are sweet and creamy with just the right crunch and smokiness. Dunk them in earthy and peppery turmeric aioli. Perfection! Ingredients 3 pounds Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, scrubbed well … Continue reading
Thai Grilled Turmeric Chicken After a rubdown of fragrant Thai herbs and spices, this chicken is ready for the grill. Enjoy the authentic Thai flavor with a side of jasmine rice. Ingredients 1 teaspoon black peppercorn 2 teaspoons coriander seeds … Continue reading
Turmeric & Spice Cauliflower Rice Have you had cauliflower “rice”? It’s a great low-carb or Paleo alternative to rice. Chop up a head of cauliflower florets and pulse a few times in the food processor until you get to a … Continue reading
Golden Milk Turmeric Chai We added fresh turmeric to traditional chai spices for that extra immunity-boosting oomph. With a milk tea this tasty, who needs a latte? Ingredients 1 1/2 cups water 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into … Continue reading
‘Cold Killer’ Turmeric Ginger Tea Fight off a cold while cozying up to this warm, immunity-boosting, aromatic tea. Ingredients 3 cups water 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into rounds 1-inch piece fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced into … Continue reading
Fragrant Yellow Rice Easy way to dress up plain ol’ rice and add extra antioxidant boost. Serve with curry, or simply add any cooked protein to make a one-pot meal. Ingredients 1 cup basmati or jasmine brown rice 1 tablespoon … Continue reading
Lemony Ginger Turmeric Chicken Ingredients 1 cup plain yogurt 1/4 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric root 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root Juice of 1 lemon (like seedless lemon) 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper … Continue reading
Black Garlic Chicken Satay Ingredients: 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast, boneless, skinless For the marinade: 3 small shallots, peeled 1 clove black garlic 1/2 teaspoon lemongrass, thinly sliced 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon grated fresh fresh … Continue reading