What is a Blood Orange?
- Blood Oranges may look like regular oranges on the outside, but their inner flesh ranges from rosy-red to a deep burgundy purple. Their flavor is less acidic than a regular orange with light raspberry notes. The Moro Blood Orange variety is one of the most popular in the United States, having the darkest internal color.
- Also available in organic.
How to Eat
- Peel and enjoy alone, add to fruit salads or use for fresh-squeezed juice.
- Great source of vitamin C.
How to Choose
- Choose oranges that feel heavy for their size.
How to Store
- Store refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
When are they in season?
- December through May (U.S.A.); August through November (Australia)
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A. or Australia
Blood Orange, Fennel, and Arugula Salad A simple and elegant salad that is truly a crowd pleaser. Add some roasted chicken breast to make a filling, main-course salad. Ingredients 1 large or 2 medium fennel bulbs 1 shallot, peeled 2 … Continue reading
Roast Beef and Blood Orange Salad Ingredients 6 medium Blood Oranges 4 cups torn lettuce leaves 3 cups rare roast beef strips 1 cup thinly sliced half-rings or red onion Citrus Dressing 8 avocado slices Citrus Dressing 1 Blood Orange … Continue reading
Fruit Basket Crepes Ingredients: 8 Frieda’s French Style Crêpes, at room temperature 2 Kiwifruit or gold kiwifruit, peeled and diced 1 Asian pear, cored and diced 2 ripe bananas (or try red bananas), peeled and thinly sliced 1 navel orange … Continue reading
Mexican Fruit Salad Ingredients: 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup water 2 Frieda’s Cinnamon Sticks, broken 3 ripe Frieda’s Manzano Bananas, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 Frieda’s Blood Oranges, or navel oranges, peeled 1 … Continue reading
Citrus Salad with Lemon Crème Dressing Ingredients 2 blood oranges, cara cara, or regular oranges, peeled 1 oroblanco, or regular grapefruit, peeled Lettuce leaves or mixed greens 1/4 cup light mayonnaise or mayonnaise-style salad dressing 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt … Continue reading