What is a Starfruit?
- Also known as Carambola, Starfruit is an oblong golden-colored fruit with five deep ridges or “wings” running down its length. When cut crosswise, Starfruit has a beautiful star shape. The thin waxy skin covers a golden flesh with a refreshingly crisp, chewy texture and lightly sweet and tangy flavor.
How to Eat
- Slice crosswise for a perfect star-shaped presentation. Great in fruit salads and desserts, or as a cocktail garnish. Skin is edible.
Watch This Video
- Great source of vitamin C and fiber.
- If you have kidney problems, check with your doctor before eating starfruit.
How to Choose
- Depending on the variety, Starfruit may turn a pale greenish-yellow to rich gold when ripe. They may have some dark brown along the five ridges – this is normal. The flesh should still be quite firm to the touch.
How to Store
- Store at room temperature until ripe and then refrigerate in covered container.
When are they in season?
Where are they grown?
- Product of U.S.A. and Taiwan
Blueberry & Starfruit Smoothie Tangy and refreshing starfruit pairs beautifully with sweet and succulent fresh blueberries from California Giant Berry Farms. Starfruit is loaded with vitamin C and fiber, and when combined with manganese-packed blueberries, Greek yogurt, and orange juice, … Continue reading
Starfruit Juice Ingredients 1 Starfruit, seeded, cut into chunks 1 cup water 2 Tablespoons honey Steps Add all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Starfruit Smoothie Ingredients 1 Starfruit, slice, remove seed, cut into chunks 1 Mango, peel and cut into chunks 1 Banana, peel and cut into chunks 1 cup of vanilla almond milk Steps Add all ingredients to a blender and blend. … Continue reading
Starfruit Upside Down Cake Adapted recipe and original photo by Oakley Boren / Food.OakMonster.com Ingredients Special equipment: A well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet Cardamom-infused Rum 3 tablespoons dark rum 3 cardamom pods Crush cardamom pods in a small bowl. Add rum. … Continue reading
Salade Aux Fruits Ingredients Romaine or bibb lettuce leaves 1 Asian pear, cored and thinly sliced 1/2 pineapple, cut into 2-inch slices 1 Miradol, golden sunrise, or Hawaiian papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1 starfruit, sliced, or 2 baby kiwi, … Continue reading
Grilled Tuna & Starfruit Salad Ingredients 1/2 cup light mayonnaise or salad dressing 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill 1/4 teaspoon paprika 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna, swordfish, or … Continue reading
Champagne Fruit Compote Ingredients: Desired cut-up and peeled fresh fruit, such as: Frieda’s Kiwifruit, sliced Frieda’s Starfruit, sliced Frieda’s Asian Pears, sliced Orange or grapefruit sections Melon chunks Pineapple wedges Frieda’s Papaya, guava, or mango, sliced Frieda’s Cherimoyas, seeded and … Continue reading
Banana Ambrosia Salad with Sherry Dressing Ingredients: Radicchio or red leaf lettuce, torn Romaine lettuce, torn ¾ cup Frieda’s Dried Starfruit, finely chopped 1 Asian Pear, thinly sliced 1-2 Manzano, Burro, or Red Bananas, peeled and sliced 1 large orange, … Continue reading
Chocolate-Dipped Starfruit Ingredients: 3 medium Starfruits 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate (or white chocolate) pieces 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening (not butter or margarine) Steps: Wash and dry the fruit. Cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place the slices on paper towels … Continue reading
Glazed Fruit Tarts Ingredients: 12 Frieda’s Won Ton Wrappers ¼ cup apple juice concentrate, thawed 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot 2 cups fresh fruit, chopped such as Frieda’s Sunrise Papaya, Mango, Asian Pear, Kiwifruit, Cherimoya ½ cup low-fat whipped cream, … Continue reading